In 2013, an ordinance known as SP-2219 was formulated, titled as the Economic Development Incentives Code of Quezon City, under the leadership of the then Vice Mayor and now current Mayor, Hon. Joy Belmonte, who served as the Presiding Officer. This ordinance acknowledges the essential need for Quezon City to actively seek economic expansion as a lasting strategy for reducing poverty.
Pursuant to SP-2219, S2013, the Local Economic Investment Promotions Office (LEIPO) was created as the implementing arm of this economic vision. Quezon City, the largest city in the Philippines, has long been recognized as a dynamic urban center. Its strategic location, diverse population, and vibrant culture have made it a hub of economic activity in the country. To further its growth and prosperity, the city government has laid out a comprehensive plan for economic development and investment for the years 2022 to 2025. This plan not only highlights the city’s vision and policy framework but also emphasizes the importance of collaboration with the private sector, rationalizing incentives, and addressing key societal needs through a 14-point agenda.
Quezon City’s Vision for Inclusive Economic Development
Quezon City’s economic development plan for 2022 to 2025 is guided by a clear vision: to foster inclusive growth that benefits all its residents. The city recognizes that a prosperous future must be built on a foundation of equity and sustainability. To achieve this vision, Quezon City has established a robust policy framework and action plan.
Collaboration with the Private Sector
A cornerstone of this plan is the city’s recognition of the strategic importance of partnering with the private sector. Quezon City aims to create an environment that is conducive to private sector growth and competitiveness. By actively involving businesses in the development process, the city ensures that economic progress benefits both the public and private sectors.
Rationalizing Incentives for Investment
Quezon City acknowledges the need to attract investors who provide greater value-added benefits to the city and its people. As such, the city government is crafting measures to rationalize incentives. This will encourage businesses to invest in the city, ultimately spurring economic growth.
Quezon City’s 14-Point Agenda for Inclusive Development
To realize its vision, Quezon City has laid out a 14-point agenda that encompasses a wide range of priorities:
- Deliver responsive, efficient, and cost effective social services: The city is committed to delivering social services efficiently and cost-effectively to meet the needs of its residents.
- Build more homes: Quezon City aims to build more homes, ensuring that its residents have access to affordable housing options.
- Provide better healthcare: Accessible and high-quality healthcare services will be a top priority, promoting the well-being of the community.
- Ensure high-quality education: The city is determined to provide a high-quality education to its residents, equipping them with the skills needed for a competitive job market.
- Empower citizens of every gender and social class: Quezon City is dedicated to empowering citizens of all genders and social classes, promoting inclusivity and equality.
- Build a safer and more resilient city: Efforts to create a safer and more resilient city will enhance the overall quality of life for residents.
- Make Quezon City the preferred destination for businesses: Quezon City aims to become the preferred destination for businesses, offering a conducive environment for their growth and success.
- Create new jobs across more businesses: By attracting more businesses, the city will create new job opportunities, reducing unemployment rates.
- Develop growth hubs: Developing growth hubs will help diversify the economy and promote innovation.
- Build a livable, green, and sustainable city: Building a livable, green, and sustainable city is a priority to ensure long-term environmental and economic viability.
- Build essential infrastructure: Essential infrastructure projects will support economic growth and improve the overall quality of life for residents.
- Be a model of good governance: Quezon City seeks to be a model of good governance, ensuring transparency, accountability, and efficiency in all its operations.
- Professionalize and strengthen the Quezon City workforce: The city plans to professionalize and strengthen its workforce to better serve the community.
- Listen to our citizens and understand what they need: Listening to the needs of its citizens and actively involving them in decision-making processes is integral to Quezon City’s development agenda.
Quezon City’s economic development and investment plan for the years 2022 to 2025 reflect its commitment to inclusive growth, sustainability, and partnership with the private sector. The 14-point agenda, which addresses key societal needs, demonstrates the city’s dedication to improving the quality of life for all residents. With a clear vision, policy framework, and action plan in place, Quezon City is well-positioned to achieve its goals and continue its journey toward becoming a thriving and inclusive urban center in the Philippines.